Mexico newspaper seeks truce with cartels after killing of 2nd journalist in less than 2 yearsBy AP
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Mexico border newspaper seeks truce with cartels
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico — The largest newspaper in Ciudad Juarez asked the border city’s warring drug cartels Sunday for a truce after the killing last week of its second journalist in less than two years.
In a front-page editorial, El Diario de Juarez asked the cartels what they want from the newspaper so it can continue its work without further death, injury or intimidation of its staff.
“Leaders of the different organizations that are fighting for control of Ciudad Juarez: The loss of two reporters from this publishing house in less than two years represents an irreparable breakdown for all of us who work here, and, in particular, for their families,” the editorial said.
“We ask you to explain what you want from us, what we should try to publish or not publish, so we know what to expect.”
It was the newspaper’s second front-page editorial since gunmen attacked two El Diario photographers Thursday — one a new employee and the other an intern. One died and the other was seriously wounded as they left for lunch in Mexico’s most dangerous city.
In 2008, a crime reporter for El Diario was slain outside his home as he was about to take his daughters to school.
The editorial Sunday said drug gangs in the city across from El Paso, Texas, are the de facto authorities, and criticized both the Chihuahua state government and President Felipe Calderon for their lack of protection for journalists.
“We don’t want to continue to be used as cannon fodder in this war because we’re tired,” Diario’s editor, Pedro Torres, told The Associated Press.
He said the staff felt great rage, helplessness and despair after burying new employee Luis Carlos Santiago, 21, on Saturday.
“Burying the body does not bury the impunity or pain,” Torres said. “There is a feeling of great anxiety and impotence surrounding this situation.”
The Committee to Protect Journalists, a New York-based watchdog group, said in a recent report that at least 22 Mexican journalists have been killed since December 2006, when Calderon intensified a crackdown on drug cartels by deploying tens of thousands of troops and federal police across the country.
At least eight of the journalists were killed because of their reports on crime and corruption, the group said.
Mexican journalists are increasingly under siege from drug cartels seeking to control the flow of information, and many media outlets, especially in border areas, have stopped covering the drug war.
Until Sunday, El Diario was not one of them.
“Even in one of the places where violence is worst … El Diario was still doing a lot of good reporting on crime,” said Carlos Lauria, a CPJ senior coordinator. “The fact that they’re giving up is really bad. It’s an indication that the situation is out of control.”
In a front-page editorial Friday, El Diario said journalists have nowhere to turn for protection because of the inability of Mexican security forces to solve most attacks on the media.
Drug violence the past two years has killed nearly 5,000 people in Ciudad Juarez, a city of 1.3 million people.
Associated Press Writer Katherine Corcoran in Mexico City contributed to this report.
Tags: Central America, Ciudad Juarez, Drug-related Crime, Journalism, Journalists, Latin America And Caribbean, Mexico, Municipal Governments, North America, Organized Crime