Chechen terror suspect threatens MoscowBy DPA, IANS
Sunday, February 6, 2011
MOSCOW - Chechnya’s top terrorism suspect Doku Umarov, in a video clip aired Sunday, claimed a connection to the recent suicide bombing at Domododevo airport and threatened further attacks.
The man declared by Russian officials as public enemy number one was seen in the clip wearing a camouflage uniform, sitting in front of a black flag containing Arabic script and a white sword.
In the video sent to the kavkazcenter.com website, Umarov said that underground fighters in the North Caucasus had sent “a brother” on a “special operation” to Moscow.
Further, the Kremlin must be ready for “a year of blood and tears”, said Umarov, who has been dubbed as “Russia’s Bin Laden”.
The video was seen as confirming Moscow investigators’ view that the Domododevo suicide bombing, in which 37 people were killed Jan 24, had an Islamic terrorist connection.
On the same website, Umarov had previously claimed responsibility for the Moscow Metro terror bombings which killed 40 people.
The video comes after Moscow media reports last week said investigators believed the suicide bomber at Domododevo was a 20-year-old man from the North Caucasus republic of Ingushetia.
In the Muslim-dominated republics of Ingushetia, Chechnya and Dagestan, numerous radical Islamist groups have been fighting for an independent “emirate” in the North Caucasus. Umarov has named himself as the “Emir of the Caucasus”.