SCRAPER, Okla. - Ellen Thompson remembers the first time she came to the Illinois River in 2006 to kayak: She saw cattle - and their droppings - alongside the river and heard tales that the waters were infested with poultry manure.
LOS ANGELES - A judge heard the first of several ownership claims Friday for an enormous emerald valued at upward of $400 million that has spawned a legal case as tangled as the jungles in eastern Brazil where it was unearthed almost a decade ago.
LOS ANGELES - A small army of lawyers has converged in a Los Angeles courtroom to argue about ownership of the world's second-largest emerald.
TOKYO - Japanese prosecutors decided Friday to release the captain of a Chinese fishing boat involved in a collision near disputed islands whose detention raised tensions between the Asian neighbors.
BEIJING - A Chinese dairy company executive and six other people were arrested after authorities discovered 26 tons of milk powder tainted with a toxic chemical, the latest incident highlighting the country's enduring struggle with food safety, a report said Monday.
- Daley dynasty: 1 family rule of Chicago nears end
- Calif. man killed by police was wielding spatula
- APNewsBreak: NY to seek info on cleanser contents
- Kansas man charged with murdering burned teen
- 911 callers describe Discovery Channel gunman
- Discovery Channel hostage-taker hated programming
- Gunmen fire on plane carrying aid workers in Congo
- Ind. scientist accused of stealing trade secrets
- Man tied to girl's disappearance appears in court
- Report: 4 Tibetans fatally shot in mine dispute
- Summary Box: Paul Allen sues major tech companies
- Theft charges filed in probe of Kan. girl's death
- 'Person of interest' in Kan. teen death arrested
- Finances of heiress, 104, at center of NY probe
- Finances of NY heiress, 104, at center of probe
- Some 200 women gang-raped near Congo UN base
- FDA looking for source of tainted eggs
- Workers examine alleged pot mess at Wis. forest
- US denies pressuring India on Bhopal tragedy
- Rio Tinto vows to work for approval of Pilbara JV
- BHP bets on crop boom with hostile Potash bid
- Gold thefts prompt police to monitor sellers
- Myanmar triples size of northern tiger reserve
- Rio Tinto and Chinalco sign iron ore deal
- Judge orders tougher look at fire retardant drops
- Chavez: Owners of opposition TV must face justice
- Zimbabwe diamond-crime whistleblower freed on bail
- Prosecutors: Woman in Pitino case had pattern
- APNewsBreak: Groups say Exxon violates US air laws
- 'Holy men' blaze curious trail across country
- Charges sought in death of Congo leader Lumumba
- Zimbabwe diamond-crimes whistleblower denied bail
- 3 dead, more injured in Mexico rural disputes
- Ohio company, managers charged in worker death
- Nigeria: 3 kidnapped Chinese technicians released