Indian origin man charged with Britain terror plotBy IANS
Monday, December 27, 2010
LONDON - Nine people, including a man of Indian origin, have been charged with conspiracy to cause explosions and plotting terror attacks in Britain, a media report said Monday.
The suspects, who were arrested a week ago during a series of dawn raids by police, will appear in a London court Monday, the Daily Telegraph reported.
The accused, aged between 19 and 28, are from Cardiff, London and Stoke-on-Trent.
Gurukanth Desai, 28, one of the accused who was arrested from Cardiff, is of Indian origin.
The nine suspects are charged with conspiring to cause an explosion or explosions in Britain “of a nature likely to endanger life or cause serious injury to property” between Oct 1 and Nov 20 this year.
They are also accused of engaging in conduct in preparation for acts of terrorism between Oct 1 and Dec 20, including by downloading and researching materials and methods; carrying out reconnaissance and agreeing potential targets, and igniting and testing incendiary material.
They will appear at the City of Westminster Magistrates Court in London.
In all 12 men, at least five of whom were of Bangladeshi origin, were held during the raids by unarmed police Dec 20 in London, Cardiff, Stoke-on-Trent and Birmingham.
Two men from Cardiff and one from London have been released without charge, police said.
Sue Hemming, head of the Crown Prosecution Service Counter Terrorism Division, said: “I have today advised the police that nine men should be charged with conspiracy to cause explosions and with engaging in conduct in preparation for acts of terrorism with the intention of either committing acts of terrorism, or assisting another to commit such acts.
“Lawyers from the CPS Counter Terrorism Division have been working with the police on this case from an early stage and were on hand to give advice while the men were interviewed.”
Last week’s raids came after several months of surveillance and monitoring by police and MI5 officers.