Family of Bengal’s abducted duo suspect Maoist handBy IANS
Friday, November 5, 2010
KOLKATA - Families of the two people abducted last month from Purulia district of West Bengal Friday refused to believe that Maoists were not involved in the crime, a day after the guerrillas denied they had kidnapped them.
“It is very surprising that the denial from the Maoists came Nov 4, 12 days after they were abducted. From the very first day police are saying they believe that the two of them were abducted by Maoists. If the guerillas are not involved, then why did they send their denial letter only yesterday?” asked Sujoy Dutta, cousin of the Intelligence Bureau inspector Partha Biswas, one of the kidnapped.
Biswas and his friend, a school teacher and an NGO worker Soumyajit Basu, have been missing since Oct 23 from Ayodhya hills in Purulia district.
Clueless about their whereabouts, police claimed that the two were abducted by Maoists.
“We still believe that the Maoists are involved in the abduction. We appeal to them to release both immediately,” said Dutta.
“The Maoists have good intelligence network and they can confirm that the two did not go there as police agents. They can communicate about their demands, but we want our people back home hale and hearty,” said Dutta.
Basu’s family echoed Dutta’s concerns.
“Basu and Biswas were abducted from Ghatbera. The entire area was dominated by Maoists. So it is obvious that they were abducted by the rebels,” said Abhijit Basu, elder brother of Soumyajit.
“We came to know from the media that top Maoist leader Kishenji Tuesday said that he had no knowledge about the abduction of Biswas and Basu. Some 48 hours later, Bikram, his comrade, said the same.
“If they are not involved then why they took so much time to send the denial?” Basu asked.
“Few days after the abduction, someone introducing himself as Communist Party of India-Maoist member called us and informed us that the two were in their custody. They are safe and secure. And now Bikram is denying. Who do we believe?” said a traumatised Basu.
The families have been running from pillar to post, but have only received assurances so far.
A letter signed by CPI-Maoist state committee member Bikram Thursday denied the group’s involment in the abduction.
Maoists were also “investigating” the kidnapping, the letter added.
Family members also said that whenever they went to met the senior police officers, bureaucrats and even Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, they were given assurances that the administration was doing its best.