BEIJING - Imprisoned Chinese democracy campaigner Liu Xiaobo on Friday won the Nobel Peace Prize - an award that drew furious condemnation from the authoritarian government and calls from world leaders including President Barack Obama for Liu's quick release.
HAVANA - Cuba's government has contacted about a dozen islanders jailed for crimes against the shadowy state-security apparatus and asked if they would be willing to accept freedom in return for leaving their homeland, a leading human rights activist said.
BAGHDAD - Iraq's prolonged political crisis has encouraged a spike in violence and pushed frustrated citizens to begin holding back crucial tips on suspected insurgents, the top U.S.
TEHRAN, Iran - An Iranian newspaper says a court has sentenced a prominent human rights activist to six years in prison on security charges.
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian authorities have detained a prominent Iranian lawyer who has represented opposition activists and political figures on suspicion of spreading propaganda against the ruling system, her family and attorney said Wednesday.
- Iran detains prominent opposition laywer
- 7 women in 'miscarriage' cases freed in Mexico
- Parents demand justice for Finn killed in Mexico
- Bold Iraq ship heists by robbers say officials
- Iraqi official say ship robberies were petty crime
- Colombia gov't has tenuous hold on rebel haven
- Radical jailed for role in deadly heist dies in NY
- Fed terror charges tossed against animal activists
- Zimbabwe diamond-crime whistleblower freed on bail
- Church: Cuba offers to free 52 political prisoners
- Moscow curators face 3 years in prison
- Restaurant serves lion burgers despite protests
- Syria sends rights activist to prison for 3 years
- Zimbabwe diamond-crimes whistleblower denied bail
- Zimbabwe rights activist claims jail mistreatment
- Mexican reporters on gov't tourism trip kidnapped
- Egypt cafe owner describes police beating death
- Congo activist's death reflects power struggle
- 2 candidates from Iraq's Sunni-backed party killed
- Iraqi cleric: political impasse must end in 1 week
- Iraqi official says Iranian troops cross border
- Several arrested for Congo activist's death
- 3rd Iraqi candidate from Sunni-backed party killed
- Head of large Congo human rights group found dead
- US calls for freeing of Cuba prisoners
- Police: US lawyer held in Rwanda attempts suicide
- US lawyer held in Rwanda critical of its president
- Uribe defends brother against death squad charge
- With death sentences, Iran seeks to cow opposition
- Gay couple convicted in Malawi faces 14-year term
- Malawi: Judge convicts gay couple
- Egypt extends emergency law despite protests
- Egypt government seeks extension of emergency law
- 2 Israeli Arabs suspected of spying for Hezbollah
- Ambush highlights Mexico's lingering land fights