LAGOS, Nigeria - Pirates kidnapped two foreign sailors from a tanker off the coast of Nigeria's restive and oil-rich southern delta, a naval spokesman said Sunday, suggesting the crew worked in the black market trade of stolen crude from the region.
DAKAR, Senegal - To kidnap seven foreigners from inside their homes, al-Qaida-linked gunmen in northern Niger forced their way past the security cordon of one of the world's most heavily guarded mining towns.
LAGOS, Nigeria - Pirates armed with Kalashnikov rifles clashed with Nigerian navy forces in a failed bid to take over an offshore oil platform, then kidnapped three French employees of a marine services company while retreating, a Nigerian official said Wednesday.
PARIS - French President Nicolas Sarkozy vowed on Wednesday to mobilize his government to free five French people abducted last week by an al-Qaida affiliate in Niger, calling it a "very serious and worrying affair," according to a government spokesman.
BAMAKO, Mali - France's interior minister is in the West African nation of Mali, where authorities believe al-Qaida-linked militants have brought seven kidnapped foreigners.
- French minister heads to Mali amid hostage crisis
- Al-Qaida claims kidnapping of 5 French in Niger
- French soldiers hunt for abducted workers in Niger
- Areva evacuates employees after Niger kidnappings
- France suspects al-Qaida link in Niger kidnapping
- 7 people, including 5 French, kidnapped in Niger
- Niger Militants Kidnap Seven People
- France's Areva says 7 people kidnapped in Niger
- France declares war against al-Qaida
- France announces war against al-Qaida
- Sarkozy: French aid worker executed in Africa
- Nigeria: Middle class in fear as kidnappings rise
- Nigeria navy says pirates released foreign sailors
- Al-Qaida offshoot grows in the desert
- Al-Qaida group says it abducted Frenchman in Niger
- Niger police confirm kidnap of Frenchman, Algerian
- Uranium-mining nations flout UN on nuclear terror
- Niger police arrest more than 600 in crackdown
- Niger police arrest officials loyal to ex-leader
- With rusty ammo, Nigeria confronts pirates
- 2 kidnapped oil workers found dead in Nigeria
- 3 sports reporters kidnapped in Nigeria
- UN: Cocaine being traded for arms in West Africa