Civil Rights Violations
COLUMBIA, S.C. - A South Carolina jail was sued Wednesday over its policy barring inmates from having any reading material other than the Bible.
HARRISBURG, Pa. - Leaders of the Pennsylvania State Police told a legislative committee Monday that unsubstantiated or needlessly inflammatory listings in state-contracted homeland security intelligence bulletins caused a series of problems for their operations.
BOSTON - The family of a former student who received electric shocks at a special needs school has agreed to receive $65,000 to settle a lawsuit claiming the treatment was inhumane and violated the student's civil rights.
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. - Grand jury evidence doesn't support the charges against a Massachusetts teen accused of bullying a 15-year-old classmate who committed suicide, her attorney said Wednesday.
LOS ANGELES - The police officer who shot and killed a Guatemalan immigrant who authorities said was threatening people with a knife is being sued by a man claiming he was unlawfully shot by the officer in 2008.
- Feds say Ariz. violates rights of English learners
- New federal probe targets scandal-ridden LA suburb
- Calif judge to stop 'don't ask, don't tell' policy
- Judge: Military's ban on gays is unconstitutional
- Court won't order California to defend Prop 8
- Feds sue Arizona sheriff in civil rights probe
- John Walker Lindh seeks Ind. prison prayer ruling
- NY groups seek DC order blocking targeted killings
- Man whose conviction was overturned still fighting
- FBI tracked desegregation suit against Bryant
- FBI tracked desegration suit against Bryant, 'Bama
- SC's top cop disturbed by video of inmate beating
- NYC lawsuit: Census Bureau discriminated in hiring
- Arizona helped deport thousands without new law
- Judge starts hearing on Arizona immigration law
- Feds will press case for blocking immigration law
- Judge hears arguments on Arizona immigration law
- Judge extends order blocking Okla. abortion law
- Jury rules against couple in parental rights case
- Chicago moves quickly to draft new gun ordinance
- Judge won't dismiss abducted trucker's lawsuit
- High court: Go ahead, search cop's sexy texting
- Court OKs search of policeman's sexy text messages
- Utah man hopes for 11th hour execution reprieve
- Lawyer: Gays denied right by Calif marriage ban
- Closing arguments begin in Calif gay marriage case
- Utah man facing firing squad denied federal stay
- UT federal judge sets hearing for condemned inmate
- Utah man facing firing squad seeks federal stay
- FBI opens civil rights probe into border shooting
- NY school sued after teen suspended over rosary
- Obama ramps up criticism of Ariz. immigration law
- Entertainers speak out on Ariz. immigration law
- Lawsuits target AZ law amid calls for boycotts
- Court to hear appeal in guard's sexual assault