Chief suspect in massacre of 18 at Honduras shoe factory dies in shootout with policeBy AP
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Suspect in 18 killings dies in Honduras shootout
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — Authorities in Honduras say the chief suspect in the massacre of 18 workers at a shoe factory earlier this month has been killed in a shootout with police.
Assistant Security Minister Armando Calidonio said Sunday that police were chasing alleged street gang leader Jesus Santos when he opened fire.
Calidonio says officers shot back and killed Santos late Saturday near San Pedro Sula, the northern Honduras city where the shoe factory employees were mowed down by gunmen.
Police say seven men and two youths participated in the attack. Only the youths have been detained.
Authorities say the factory killings were part of a gang turf battle in which the victims did not appear to have been directly involved.
Tags: Central America, Honduras, Latin America And Caribbean, Tegucigalpa, Violent Crime