MADISON, Wis. - Republican Senate candidate Ron Johnson, who has campaigned against government subsidies to business, employs up to nine prison inmates at his plastics factories whose health care costs are paid by the state, according to records obtained by The Associated Press.
NEWARK, N.J. - The former mayor of Perth Amboy, N.J., and an aide have been convicted of mail fraud, election finance violations and lying to authorities.
BEIJING - Imprisoned Chinese democracy campaigner Liu Xiaobo on Friday won the Nobel Peace Prize - an award that drew furious condemnation from the authoritarian government and calls from world leaders including President Barack Obama for Liu's quick release.
NEW YORK - The former president of a small community bank earned the distinction of being the first person convicted of ripping off the federal bailout program by pleading guilty Friday to fraud charges and admitting that he tried to grab more than $11 million in taxpayer rescue funds.
BEIJING - A bitter China has denounced the awarding of the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo and said the decision would hurt relations with Norway.
- Ex-NY comptroller pleads guilty in pay-to-play
- Ex-NY comptroller charged with corruption
- Nigeria: Muslim sect members kill political leader
- NJ senator calls for anti-bully law after suicide
- Vt. sued over refusal to release auditor DUI video
- Ethiopian officials release top opposition leader
- Former Conn. mayor appeals corruption conviction
- Scandal-plagued Calif city cancels council meeting
- 2 arrested in anti-gay beating at famed NY gay bar
- Casino owners, senators charged in Ala bingo probe
- Casino owner, others indicted in Ala. bingo probe
- Ala. casino heads, senators, lobbyists indicted
- 11 Ala casino heads, senators, lobbyists indicted
- AP source: Owner of Ala's largest casino arrested
- Rights leader: More Cuban prisoners to go free
- Judges want to bear arms after Philippine shooting
- Dutch politician on trial on hate speech charges
- Cuba may free more political prisoners into exile
- Blagojevich retrial defense team scaled down
- Tenn. man charged with threat to Ohio congressman
- Ex-Pakistani leader admits mistakes while in power
- Ex-Pakistani general forms political party
- Top IRA dissident sentenced for trying to buy arms
- Judge to decide if Blagojevich lawyers can leave
- Ex-Peru rebels, out prison, run for elected office
- Lead attorney intends to leave Blagojevich defense
- Texans debate allowing concealed weapons on campus
- 30 Gulf cartel suspects captured in north Mexico
- Step carefully, dirty laundry defining candidates
- US general: Iraq political limbo fueling violence
- PROMISES, PROMISES: Pelosi ethics pledge falters
- Nogales, Ariz., mayor arrested on bribery charges
- Church announces release of 3 Cuba prisoners
- Pakistan court orders government to probe graft
- Caribbean crime wave linked to US deportations